A reminder to check your carbon monoxide alarms

North Shore Heritage would like to remind homeowners to ensure their homes are equipped with working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in addition to smoke detectors.

This is especially important for older homes that may have ageing gas furnaces. Over time, expansion and contraction of the metal heat exchanger may cause cracks to develop, allowing dangerous carbon monoxide gas to enter the ductwork and spread throughout the home.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is extremely deadly. Each year in Canada more than 300 people are killed by CO poisoning.

It is important to note that most commercially available CO alarms will only sound once the CO level has already reached dangerous levels. You could still have low levels of carbon monoxide in your home without knowing it, which can also cause detrimental health effects over time. Be sure to get your furnace checked and maintained regularly.

For more information about carbon monoxide safety visit the Technical Safety BC website.